Extensive research has been undertaken to prove the many benefits probiotics have to cats and other animals. Probiotics for cats are undeniably some of the most crucial microorganisms for enhancing intestinal health.
Probiotics in simple terms refer to a group of microorganisms usually referred to as “friendly bacteria”. They inhabit the digestive tract and provide great benefits including good mental health, strong immune system, and ideal body weight.
Causes of Unhealthy Digestive Tract
Various factors influence the health of the digestive tract. They affect the number of probiotics and their ability to function. It will ultimately affect the overall health of your kitty. These factors include:
- Aging process
- Environmental toxins such as chemical pollutants and pesticides
- Inadequate diet
- Excessive use of antibiotics
Symptoms of Unhealthy Gut
It is quite easy to identify when your pet is suffering from an unhealthy gut. Some of the most common signs include constipation, skin allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, hairballs, irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea, and flatulence.
Benefits of Probiotics for Cats
Feline probiotics are powerful in restoring the health of the gut. It eliminates all the problems associated with improper functioning of the digestive system. One of the most important roles played by probiotics is that they boost your cat’s immune system. They are ideal cats with any gut problems such as digestive disorder, vomiting, or constipation.
The excessive use of antibiotics has a detrimental effect on the gut flora and therefore might want to be preceded by use of probiotics. To get the best of your probiotics, you should purchase minimally processed pet food that is ideal for the age in question.
A diet that is more processed loses most of its nutrients. Therefore, one of the best ways to get sufficient levels of probiotics is by giving your kitty a good probiotic supplement each day with every meal.
While making a purchase, it is important to understand that not all probiotics are formulated equally. Some labels may be misleading, and you can even find some of the products that have extra supplements.
You should always look for those products that are pure probiotics/digestive enzymes. In case you are not certain of what to buy, you should seek advice from your vet.
Probiotics Dosage in Cats
According to reliable studies, there is no right answer as to how much of a dose of probiotics should be given to your cat. This is because most of the probiotic administered orally end up being lost via competitive exclusion by the domineering microbiota in the gut. For this reason, the supplement may need to be administered in high doses.
To get the best results in your cat, the best dosage should start from 100 million CFU (Colony Forming Units) to up to 450 billion CFU. This is for the adults and for the kittens they should get half of what is required for mature cats. It is important that it takes a bit of trial-and-error to get the best dose for your kitty.
Potential Side Effects
There are no documented side effects of probiotic supplements, but there are some cons associated with using them. First off, they do not give long lasting results after supplementation. Once they are stopped, the symptoms tend to re-emerge. To avoid this, you have to add prebiotics.
Secondly, not all probiotics are genuine and therefore if you are not careful you may buy ineffective supplements. To get a pure probiotic, you have to purchase it from a reputed manufacturer.
Ailments Treated by Cat Probiotics
Probiotics help stop and cure some serious ailments in cats. These include:
- Diarrhea resulting from stress
- Weak immune system
- Digestive disorders such as constipation and vomiting.
- Food allergies
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Best Probiotic for Cats
Probiotics play an important role within the cat’s digestive system. They should be kept at the required levels at all times. The two ways of ensuring the gut flora is healthy include feeding your pet with fresh human grade food and the use of minimal antibiotics.
If unsure of what cat probiotic supplement to buy, start off by using what is recommended by a reputed vet. Every cat supplement brand has its unique properties and features and thus you have to follow what is recommended for your cat’s unique situation.
Particular PAWS Dog & Cat Probiotic Power
- Popular seller among pet parents
- Formulated specifically for cats and dogs
- Helps promote digestive health
- Works to avoid future diarrhea and vomiting
Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Cats
- Boasts 5 Billion CFU’s per Scoop of 20 different kinds of probiotics
- Free of cheap fillers – no sugars, grain, maltodextrins, animal digest
- Made in U.S.A.
- Best Guarantee – Should see improvements within two weeks or will give you a refund (and you don’t have to return the unused portion making it a truly EASY refund if your pet doesn’t see improvements)
Purina ProPlan Veterinary Diets FortiFlora
- Contains micro-encapsulated form of Enterococcus which is crucial for managing diarrhea
- Proteins, vitamins & minerals in the ingredients
- Great tasting for cats so you can just sprinkle on food
- Promoted to help with excessive shedding, scratching, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, hot spots and will even reduce litter box smell
- Formulated for cats
- 2 Billion CFU’s per serving with no GMO, no artificial flavors, no cheap fillers and also wheat & dairy free