Do you always wonder what your cat is doing when you’re not at home? Maybe you wish you could check up on your cat out of curiosity or perhaps your pet isn’t feeling well, and you just want to be sure they are okay. You need to read our Petcube review. A Petcube pet cam is exactly what you need to put your mind at ease and quash any worries while you aren’t with your cat.
The Petcube pet cam lets you see your cat in real time and even talk to your cat. All you need is a smartphone. You download the free Petcube app, and you can connect to your petcam remotely. It also lets you play with your cat using the laser feature. Your cat gets some exercise and hears your voice.
Petcube Review of Pet Cam in Action
Why to Get a Petcam
There are tons of reasons I can think of for why I want a pet camera. Below are a few of them. Some definitely serve serious real reasons and others are more for fun, but still legit.
- Puts your mind at ease while you are away from your cat
- Let’s you check on ill or older pets you worry about when you aren’t there
- Helps with cats that have separation anxiety because they can hear your voice
- Satisfies your curiosity, so you know what your cat is really doing all day long
- Let’s you catch culprits if you have multiple cats, and you often come home to find broken items, ripped open food packages your cat somehow managed to get access to, etc.
- Serves as an inexpensive option to remotely monitor your house with your smart phone
You access your Petcube pet cam using the app, but you can also control who else can see your pet. You can have the ability to grant access to other family and friends so they can see and interact with your pet. Within the app, there is a “share camera settings” section which allow you full control to grant access.
- Matte Silver
- Rose Gold
- Carbon Black
Buy 2 Petcubes & Save Option
One Petcube costs $149 however you take advantage of a 2 pack discount and get two units for $279. You can set them up in different areas of the house or on different floors.
With either option, you can buy just the Petcube pet cameras, or you can choose to subscribe to their optional Petcube Care services.
Optional Petcube Services
Petcube Care is their cloud video service for recording your cat. When you first purchase your Petcube, you will get a free 30 day trial of this service. It captures your pet 24/7 so you always know your cat’s status and can check on their safety.
Once the 30-day trial is up, you will have the option of canceling, or choosing one of the following options:
- 10 days of video history for $10 per month
- 30 days of video history for $30 per month
There is also a discounted yearly rate if you know you want to keep recording history. For the ten days it is $100 per year and for 30 days it is $300 per year. So essentially you can look at it as you are getting two months free, or it’s a discounted rate of $8.33 per month for the ten-day history and $25 per month for the 30-day history option.
Subscriptions to Petcube Care are managed via the free Petcube app. The app is available on the App Store or Google Play Store, depending on whether you have an iPhone or an Android phone.
Petcube Pet Cam Specs
- Camera: 138-degree wide angle camera for streaming 720-pixel high definition video
- Motion & Sound detection notificationsi-Fi
- Built in microphone & speaker for two-way audio streaming
- Connects via your home 2.4 GHz W
- Size: 4″ x 4″ x 4″
- Weight: 1.3 pounds
- Material: Brushed Aluminum
- Power: US 10/240V adapter, Output current 5V/2A
- Compatible with both Apple iOS (7.0 or greater) & Android (4.0 or greater)
- Built in safe & certified laser to play with your pet
- Standard tripod mount and non-slip surface on bottom
- Security: 128 bit Encryption & SSL (Secure data transfer)
Setting up the Petcube Pet Cam
Set up is relatively simple. You need a compatible smartphone, a broadband internet connection in your home and a power outlet. You connect to the Petcube remotely by utilizing your home Wi-Fi network.
Download the app and then follow the on-screen Quick start guide. You’ll have your Petcube up and running in no time.
Additional Information on the Petcube
- It is a stand-alone device.
- The Petcube is designed for indoors only and should not be used outdoors.
- The camera does not rotate, nor can it tilt or zoom in. However, it does have a 138-degree angle lens so does cover a lot of area without moving.
- The Petcube is interactive and lets you speak to and hear your pet.
- It doesn’t have the option to dispense treats as some other pet cameras do.
About the Petcube Laser
The laser is safe for both animals and people. It is only activated when you initiate it by choosing the laser option in the app on your phone. To use the laser, you place your finger on the screen of your smartphone, and it will show up at that spot in your home. As with all lasers, you should not point it your cat’s eyes. You can also talk to your pet at the same time while using the laser.
Feedback from Petcube Owners
Overall, feedback is great. People like the idea of being able to see and interact with their pets when they are away. It lets them interact, provides their cat some exercise and ultimately gives them peace of mind know their animals are safe and happy. Even when you are away, you can stay connected to your cat. Hopefully this Petcube review helped you to decide whether this is the right pet camera for you.