There are dozens of companies and policy types to choose from when it comes to pet insurance. Embrace Pet Insurance is one such provider that has built a good reputation with pet owners. They have emerged as a top industry player when it comes to comprehensive insurance coverage for cats.
About Embrace Pet Insurance
The Ohio-based company was established in 2003 by Wharton MBA graduates Alex Krooglik and Laura Bennett. During its early years it had a serious struggle for survival, but by June 2011 the firm began to generate some positive cash flow. Currently, Embrace stands out as one of the best providers of pet insurance thanks to their excellent customer service and attractive reimbursement rates.
Embrace is underwritten by two firms; for all states and Colombian District American Modern Insurance Group and American Southern Home Insurance Company handles Florida. In simple terms, an underwriter assesses risk levels associated with an individual, activity, or an asset. The assessment will ultimately determine the premium pricing or the amount you frequently pay out of your pocket.
Plans Offered by Embrace
Embrace offers various plans including; insurance for puppies, insurance for dogs, insurance for kittens, and insurance for cats. Their primary coverage include:
- The Embrace Plan
- Personalized Policies
- Wellness Rewards
- Various Discounts and Savings
One thing that makes Embrace stand out from its competitors is the fact that they pay claims within 15 days, and its customer service is quite outstanding.
What is Covered and Not Covered by Embrace
There is a long list of what is covered and not covered. Below is the coverage at the time of the writing of this review. For up to date information, please be sure to verify on the official Embrace pet insurance site.
Covered by Embrace Insurance:
- Exam fees
- Biopsies and lab tests
- Hospitalization and surgery
- Allergy testing
- Ultrasound, X-rays, MRI, CT scans
- Emergency care, general care, specialist care
- Physical therapy that includes hydrotherapy
- RX medications
- Laser surgery
- Holistic medicine
- Dental trauma
- Chronic conditions such as asthma
- Cancer treatment
- Genetic conditions
- Cremation or burial fee
Not Covered by Embrace Insurance:
- Nuclear war
- Organ transplants
- Avian flu
- DNA testing or cloning
- Prosthetic devices or limbs
- Pre-existing conditions
- Illness or injury caused by cruelty, neglect, fighting, or racing
- Deliberate injuries by the owner
- Breeding, pregnancy or whelping
- Cosmetic procedures that include ear cropping, claw removal, or tail docking unless it is required medically
Wellness Rewards and Bonuses
Embrace offers an optional Wellness Rewards program that is mainly aimed at promoting preventative measure for your pet. It is a unique program with three allowance levels; 250, 450 and 650 USD. It is a program that gives and allowance in addition to bonus cash that can be used towards your pet’s healthcare and wellness.
Pros and Cons of Embrace Pet Insurance
- Dedicated to the customer as proven by Customer Bill of Rights
- Only takes 15 working days to process and pay claims
- Coverage includes genetic health conditions
- Rated well with an A+ as their BBB rating
- They also train and teach pet parents
- The company is committed to going green initiatives
- Limited phone hours and no live chat
- Quite expensive when compared to other providers such as Petplan and Healthy Paws
- Long waiting periods:
- For accidents, it takes two days and 14 days in some states
- For illness, it is 14 days
- For orthopedic conditions, it is six months and may be sliced to 14 days if you complete the waiver and exam
Embrace Pet Insurance Cost Plans
When it comes to their pricing quotes, Embrace has given pet owners full control over the cost of their coverage. They offer various options including; different levels of reimbursement percentage, a variety of amounts deductible periodically, and optional covers.
Furthermore, the pet owner is given the freedom to choose an annual maximum coverage amount. You can choose from 5000, 8000, 10000, or 15000 USD. The amounts deductible for the annual coverage can be set at 200, 300, 500, 750, or 1000 USD per year. You can also configure the reimbursement per visit at 70%, 80% or 90%.
The price per month, reimbursement level, annual maximum, annual deductible, and cost per month will vary based on various factors such as age, breed, and location. Ensure you check out the coverage that applies to your kitty before you enroll in any plan.
Why Embrace Pet Insurance is Better than other Providers
Embrace stands out from the crowd for various reasons.
- Excellent customer service and a good reputation
- As a pet owner, you are free to use any vet, and there is no restriction to specific in-network clinics
- Once claims are made, there are no unanticipated increases in premiums
- Offers a 30-day money back guarantee
- The claim refunds are made using vet bills submitted and not on set amounts
- Offers lifetime coverage for chronic health conditions
- Genetic health conditions are covered, which is something rarely covered by other providers
- The pet policy can be customized to meet your pet’s specific needs and budget
- Embrace is an environmentally friendly company
Pet insurance is a must for every responsible pet owner. Things such as accidents, illnesses, chronic illnesses, and many others come in when least expected and it is at such times that pet insurance becomes a life saver. Conduct a thorough research before you buy any pet insurance plan and try to also compare various plans before choosing any.